The renewed Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF), part of the Multiannual Financial Framework for 2021-2027, will amount to €9.882 billion in current prices and will contribute to:
- Strengthening the common asylum policy;
- Developing legal migration in line with the member states’ economic and social needs;
- Supporting third-country nationals to effectively integrate and be socially included;
- Contributing to the fight against irregular migration.
Other objectives include ensuring that those without a right to stay in the EU are returned and readmitted in an effective, safe and dignified way and supporting those people to begin reintegrating in non-EU countries to which they have been returned.
Most of the funds (63.5%) will be allocated to programmes that are jointly managed by the EU and the member states. The other 36.5% will be directly managed by the EU and dedicated, among other actions, to emergency assistance, resettlement and humanitarian admission from non-EU countries and to relocate asylum-seekers and refugees to other EU member states, “as part of solidarity efforts”.
MEPs managed to increase the sum that EU countries will receive for every resettled person (€10.000, up from the €7.000 intended by the Council), the same amount they will get for every person relocated from another member state. While in 2014-2020 countries did not receive funds for humanitarian admission, they will now obtain €6.000 for every person they welcome under this mechanism (€8.000 if it is a vulnerable person).
For more information, please visit the website of the European Parliament.
For more information on our advocacy efforts in the area of migration, please visit our thematic page.